The International Veterinary Students’ Association (IVSA) is a non-profit organisation founded by volunteer veterinary students in 1953. The mission of IVSA is “To benefit the animals and people of the world by harnessing the potential and dedication of veterinary students to promote the international application of veterinary skills, education, and knowledge.”
IVSA helps expand the worldwide collaboration of over thirty thousand students, enriching their experience and improving their skills as future veterinarians. The way in which this is achieved is by arranging annual meetings (congresses and symposia), facilitating exchanges between our members, and many projects and educational opportunities focusing on animal welfare, one health, education, soft skills, and wellness.
IVSA aims to:
- Encourage veterinary students to use their knowledge and abilities to benefit both animals and humans.
- Raise the overall standard of veterinary education worldwide.
- Actively support measures to improve the standard of animal welfare worldwide.
- Provide opportunities for veterinary students to undertake education in important
- areas outside traditional veterinary training.
- Encourage cooperation between members, veterinary student associations and
- international organisations.
IVSA addresses its aims with the following specific activities:
- Promoting and facilitating professional and scientific exchanges as well as projects and extracurricular training for veterinary students.
- Arranging international Congresses and Symposia to promote international understanding, exchange of ideas and best practices, and appreciation of animal health issues in different environments.
- Supporting veterinary education, particularly in disadvantaged countries.
- Representing the professional interest of veterinary students by collaborating with
- various professional bodies and organisations in the fields of veterinary care and public health.