The International Association of Students in Agricultural and Related Sciences (IAAS)
Who They Are
IAAS (International Association of Students in Agricultural and Related Sciences) is the biggest student organization in the field of agriculture and related sciences worldwide. IAAS was founded in 1957 and started with only 8 member countries. It grew a lot to the organization it is nowadays with over 30 member countries and about 10.000 students as members.
The aims and objectives of IAAS have been defined by the founding of the General Assembly back in 1957. As is stated in our mission we have a goal of working world wide and we are therefore very happy that you have shown interest in starting up IAAS in your country. Below are objectives upon which IAAS operates;
- Encouraging the interchange of ideas in all fields of education and practices in Agricultural and Related Sciences
- Promoting the co-operation and understanding between students of Agricultural and Related Sciences from all over the world.
- Preparing students to fulfil the challenges of their future work with a practical and global view.
- Encouraging the formation and development of local organisations of Students in Agricultural and Related Sciences.
- Organising international meetings, seminars and training periods abroad for students in Agricultural and Related Sciences.
- Promoting sustainable Agriculture, economics and food production in the whole world.
- Promoting a higher education system of high quality, accessible for everyone.
So far we have been working to fulfill these aims and objectives IAAS is standing for throughout the world by organizing different types of activities.
Examples of these international activities the yearly World Congress, European / African / Americas directors meetings, Exchange Weeks and Seminar Weeks where members from literally all over the world come together to experience the local agricultural/food sector by going on field trips, company visits and have lectures and/or conferences with renowned speakers. Next to that members among each other have the ability to exchange ideas and experiences during these events.
Finally an important activity of IAAS is the Exchange Program or ExPro. Throughout 50 years, the IAAS exchange program has been offering more than 20.000 students practical internships on farms, in research institutions and in volunteering projects, all on international level. By this offering them all the unique opportunity to experience and learn about agricultural (related) subjects, while broadening their own views.
In doing this internship, students have the possibility to experience how the agricultural institutes work in another country and exchange the ideas, experiences and information. Organizing this exchange is one of the ways in which we try to accomplish our mission.
Please feel always free to get in contact with IAAS World !
Like mentioned above IAAS was already founded in 1957. That means that we have a little less than 60 years of history. In all those years many students have benefit from all the possibilities and activities that IAAS has offered them.
All the reports of General Assemblies, meetings and activities, newsletters and annual reports from the very beginning in 1957 are all kept in the IAAS archive. This archive is housed in the cellar of the Faculty of Bio-science Engineering, KU Leuven. Entering this cellar is an amazing feeling, a real through back in time. It makes you feel so proud to be a member of an association with such a flourish history.
Partnership With IVSA
In 2015, IAAS and IVSA signed a partnership agreement whereby both parties agreed:
- To attempt to jointly organise events/projects each year
- To help each others’ organisations with soft skills, human resources, knowledge management and promotion whenever possible
- To invite each others’ members to events whenever fitting
We appreciate our partnership with IAAS and look forward to working with them whenever we can!